5B is to serve as a network for young writers, under 35 and of African descent, currently working on a novel. The goal of the Network is to assist the 5 members of the network in completing a novel - by way of critiques, editorial suggestions and publishing hints. However, the objective is open-ended. The first project of the network will begin in October 2011.
Interested members should take note of the following:
- The novel should be in progress at the time of application to participate
- The number is kept at 5 so that the members can develop friendship while working on their books
- Only writers of literary fiction will be admitted as members
- The first project of the network aims at ensuring that all the five members, at the end of a year, have completed manuscripts ready for representation and/or publishing
- The project shall last between October 2011 and August 2012
- Each member will be required to make weekly contributions of a part of the novel in progress. Please note that a high level of cooperation is demanded - The work will be tasking!
- The contributions of each member shall not exceed 25 installments. As such, members will have the discretion of dividing their work into a maximum of 25 parts. This is subject to review
- The members will decide on a platform to share their writing, and an avenue for virtual meetings and discussions. Discussions will also be held once a week.
- Other details will be finalized as soon as members are selected.
If interested, please contact Emmanuel by email (firstname.lastname@example.org). Send a summary of your plot, the proposed word range, a brief publishing history, a short (or long) introduction about yourself, and any other detail you feel is important for the purpose of the project. The selection process is simple and quick; applications will be treated in the order they are received. Send in your email before September 20. If before then selection is complete, subsequent applicants will be duly informed. As this is not a competition, the decision of who is to become a member is entirely based on the interests of the Initiator.
Have a great week everyone!