The second edition of the Creative Wings Short Story Contest has been announced. The ‘Creative Wings Short Story Prize’ was endowed in 2011, by the Executive Director of Ugreen Foundation, Obinna Udenwe. The Prize will accept entries from all African writers residing anywhere in the world. BookaholicBlog will publish the shortlisted and winning stories.
1st Prize – Fifteen (15) books and all expenses paid trip to Sen. Chris. Nwankwo Youth Creativity Class in March, 2013.
The Dancing Bird by Obinna Udenwe (autographed copy),
Wizard of the Crow Ngugi wa Thiong’O, The Abyssinian Boy by Onyeka Nwelue (autographed copy), Bloody Path to Freedom Chuks Okolo (autographed copy), The Readers by Benhard Schlinks, The Phoenix by Chika Unigwe, Money Galore by Amu Djoleto, Cemetery Road by Esiaba Irobi , Songs of Enchantment by Ben Okri, Olauda Equiano Autobiography , Beyond The Ancient Hills by Celestine Awoke (autographed), The Secret Lives of Baba Segi’sWives by Lola Shoneyin, From the Caves of Rotten Teeth by A. Igoni Barrett, Night of the Creaking Bed by Toni Kan, Waiting for an Angel Helon Habila.
2nd Prize – Five books and all expenses paid trip to Sen. Chris. Nwankwo Youth Creativity Class in March, 2013.
The Dancing Bird Obinna Udenwe (autographed), The Other Side of the Mask Esiaba Irobi (autographed by Abic), Matigari Ngugi wa Thiong’o, Beyond The Ancient Hills Celestine Awoke (autographed) and Assegai Wilbur Smith.
The books will be couriered to the winners anywhere they are in the world. Nigeria resident winners get an opportunity to attend the Sen. Chris. Nwankwo Youth Creativity Class in March, 2013. Ugreen Foundation will cover transportation costs (round trip), accommodation for five nights and meals, including N30, 000 honorarium,(including tours round the state and evenings of cocktails). If the winner(s) resides outside Nigeria and wants to attend, Ugreen Foundation will provide all of the above mentioned, excluding cost of air-travel into and out of Nigeria. The program holds annually in Abakaliki, the Ebonyi state capital.
1. Entry is free and must not be more than 600 words long.
2. Entrant must not be more than 40 years old.
3. Only one submission per entrant is permitted. Stories must be original work of the entrant and previously published works will not be accepted for the Prize.
4. Only online submissions are acceptable. Entries should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Paste story on the body of the e-mail and Use ‘Creative Wings Contest’ in the subject line. Entries with attachments will be disqualified.
5. The email must contain the entrant’s name, the title of story, and the entrant’s physical address, a brief bio of NOT more than 50 words, Date of Birth, and contact phone number.
6. Simultaneous submissions are NOT acceptable and Writers are not restricted to any theme.
7. Entries must be in English ONLY. Previous winners are eligible but must apply with a different story.
8. Shortlisted entrant must agree to provide us with his/her photograph and agree to allow Ugreen Foundation and all the Prize publicists use the photograph for publicity.
Entries are open from June 1st to 12 Midnight July 31st.
1. Myne Whitman, Author of bestselling romance novels, A Heart to Mend (2009) and A Love Rekindled (2011). She lives in Seatle, United States of America.
2. Onyeka Nwelue is a novelist, short story writer, poet, filmmaker and journalist. Nwelue’s first novel is the 2009 bestseller, The Abyssinian Boy, which critics hailed as ‘out-of-the-box’.
3. Jayne Bauling. Award winning writer resident in South Africa.
FOR MORE INFORMATION – www.ugreenfoundation.org