Friday, July 24, 2009

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie in elan

Hot off a worldwide book tour, a recent appearance on CNN’s African Voices, and a reading for fans at the Silverbird Galleria earlier on in the week, Chimamanda Adichie is prime media gold.As the foremost fiction writer to come out of Nigeria in the past decade, she has made the Nigerian experience coffee table discussion among literary critics, bookworms and fans spanning the different continents of the world.

Her critical acclaim came with her first novel Purple Hibiscus, winning the coveted Best First Book award at the 2005 Commonwealth Writers Series. Her second novel, Half of a Yellow Sun, won the Orange Prize for Fiction in 2007.

With a new book recently released, The Thing Around Your Neck, she took time out to sign my copy and chat about her views on natural hair, the importance of reading and why she does not own a pair of jeans.

Read the rest here.

4 comments:

  1. wow, I am an ardent Adichie fan. can you give me a ink for her tour. i want to meet her sometime.

    Interesting, jeans! she doesn't own a pair. wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. met her when she came to Philadelphia. The audience asked her very annoying questions and she answered them all with grace and a slight touch of sarcasm. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kool one..and nice blog you got there

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am happy for you, may be envious. I would have wished she had signed mine, though i don't have it. I would be reviewing her book 'Half on a Yellow Sun' in August. I have it but have not read it. Is the third book as good as the other two? I have not read any, but I heard they are good. August begins my readings of her. When would she come to Ghana. Africa needs her first.

    ReplyDelete