Tuesday, November 29, 2011

When Will The New Nigerian Thriller Come?

Toni Kan writes about a reading tradition, long forgotten, he once again asks the question: when will popular fiction aka thriller, manifest as the Pacesetter Series return to Nigeria?


The Pacesetters series was launched by Macmillan. I am not sure of the year but I began noticing them as I turned ten. The stories, the cover images, the size, the language and subject matter all seemed to suggest that Macmillan was targeting a younger, more cosmopolitan audience different from the academic audience which read novels in the African Writers Series.


Read more here.

Okay, main problem is that publishing is near dead. But why does it seem that I think that everyone strives to do "literary writing"; I think there is an audience for the "Pacesetter Tradition." Will there be a time when that tradition will bounce back to existence? What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. One nice thing about Book "N' Gauge (Lagos Book readings) is that it's not just literary. Write what you like. If you have a fan, an audience, even if it's on facebook, then it's worth it. If you don't have a reader whether now or far in the future, that will derive either pleasure or education or anything of value from your writing, now or even in the distant future, then hey, your writing is useless. That said, maybe no writing is useless. Just write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool. i might want to check this book out as it has intriguing stories on model trains.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I understand. I am thinking we could restore it and move the publishing platform online so publishing would be cheaper and distribution easier.

    Hi, my name is Theresa. I am a writer and I have a bunch of writers who are interested in writing for pace setters because the characters would be Nigerian and set in Nigeria/Africa and will deal with real issues.

    ReplyDelete