As today’s young people are crucial for the shaping of our future, it is imperative that they are enabled to develop to their full potential. UNESCO’s objective is to help empower young people, reaching out to them, responding to their expectations and ideas, and fostering useful and long-lasting skills. This annual essay contest is organized in an effort to harness the energy, imagination and initiative of the world's youth in promoting a culture of peace and sustainable development. It also aims to inspire society to learn from the young minds and to think about how each of us can make a difference in the world.
THEME: "MY STORY OF INSPIRATION"
Many people experience inner change that motivates them to create a better world.
Please share your story of inspiration that has affected your life and changed you to make a change in the world.
- Essays may be submitted by anyone up to 25 years old (as of June 30, 2011) in one of the following age categories:
- Children (ages up to 14) b) Youth (ages 15 - 25)
- Essays must be 800 words or less in English, French, Spanish or German; or 1600 characters or less in Japanese, typed or printed.
- Entries may be submitted by postal mail or online
DEADLINE: Entries must be received by June 30, 2011.
AWARD: The following awards will be given in the Children’s category and Youth category respectively:
1st Prize: Certificate and prize of 100,000 Yen (approx. US$1,200) ... 1 entrant
2nd Prize: Certificate and prize of 50,000 Yen (approx. US$600) ... 2 entrants
3rd Prize: Certificate and gift ... 5 entrants
Honorable Mention: Certificate and gift
... 25 entrants
* 1st prize winners will be invited to the award ceremony in Tokyo, Japan scheduled for November 2011. (Travel expenses will be covered by the organizers.)
More info here.