Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Love is...

Toni Morrison is a beautiful writer whose work hangs on your neck till you are through; she uses language in such a creative way and that's one of the reasons I call her a writer's writer. Here is what love is in Bluest Eye:

Love is never any better than the lover. Wicked people love wickedly, violent people love violently, weak people love weakly, stupid people love stupidly, but the love of a free man is never safe. There is no gift for the Beloved

I put this up on Facebook and got loads of responses...

I think love gets people tickled a lot asides all the sweet things that they say about it; I also think it hurts a lot. The subject of '
love's hurt' made my buy a book recently and I paraprased thosed lines on y FB status; the responses were intriguing. Here it is:

Love hurts...not because it wants to but because it is love's nature to hurt (just as it is the nature of a scorpion to sting): it hurts when you give off a part of you, let alone all of you.

So, what does love mean to you? Share with us your best love quotes and ideals, in fiction or reality.

1 comment:

  1. In real life, love has to be possible. Even if it is not returned right away, love can only survive when the hope exists that you will be able to win over the person you desire. Anything else is fantasy.- This is from the book By the River Piedra I sat Down and Wept.

    I personally think that the kind of love that I think is ideal, can not exist in the desperately wicked hearts of mere mortals.

    ReplyDelete