Sunday, August 15, 2010

Bookaholic e-Reading List...

As a new week begins, we hope that you have a great week...even as you read these interesting posts online. Enjoy!


Olufemi Terry's Caine Prize Winning Story, "Stickfighting Days"



"Thwack, Thwack, the two of them go at it like madmen, but the boys around them barely stir
with excitement. They both use one stick and we find this swordy kind of stickfighting a bitcrappy. Much better two on one or two on two – lots more skill involved and more likelihood ofblood.

I turn to Lapy. “Let’s go off and practise somewhere. This is weak.” Lapy likes any stickfight, but almost always does what I say. "



Ben Okri Interview in the Guardian UK


"I'd be walking along and suddenly I'd be unable to stand straight and I'd hold on to a lamppost and find the lamppost wasn't solid either. That was a turning point for me. It began a great journey. I don't feel I need to lean on lampposts any more. You need internal lampposts – and a few good friends."

Articles on The Pilgrimages website. Here's an excerpt from Uzodinma Iweala's post!


"I’ve been telling everybody that I’m going to Timbuktu, “No really Timbuktu.”



“Is that even a real place?” I’ve been asked a bunch of times. Wikipedia says its real and full of at least 30,000 people, accessible by road, boat and flight, full of many wonders, so it must be true. How embarrassing it is, how exciting it is to be on the verge of a place that you as recently as two months ago really knew nothing about except for the fact it exists and that a backpack company headquartered in New York makes bags with same name

I should know more. Really and truly I should know more. I should have logged my hours in the library researching, pulling books and scholarly articles, looking at pictures, reading the myriad travel narratives already written about Timbuktu. Sadly I haven’t had the time to do so. Medical school has this way of getting in the way of the really important things."




Nnedi Okorafor's story in Clarkesworld Magazine :


"They will never die. No information dies once gathered, once collected.

The creatures' field guide is thorough but incomplete.

I am the greatest explorer.

I am griot and I will soon join the others.


The Newest Issue of Open Wide Magazine


The Latest issue of ITCH.

The sixth issue of ITCH online is live, and full of fascinating insights into almost 70 private mental worlds, organised around a rather self-centred theme:

i

What is i? Is it you or me? Is it imagination or information? Is it intellect or introspection?

As always, ITCH is crammed full of poetry, short stories, book reviews, experimental writing, photo essays, videos and miscellaneous visual splendour for your reading and viewing pleasure.

Explore!

2 comments: